NDI is a technology which was implemented with these ideas in mind:
- Live video is produced and processed by professional production teams in local networks prior to outer-world delivery.
- Various solutions from various vendors are fully interoperable using the same protocol.
- Network topology doesn't matter, making it easy to find and capture video streams.
- Video source is abstracted from video destinations, it just sends out the data into the network.
- The video content is moderately compressed with 10x factor down to 100 MBps making it easy to deliver over local networks.
- It's a replacement for SDI technology.
Nimble Streamer has full support for NDI protocol input and output. Its main purpose is to deliver live streams efficiently so it's not a production-level mixing and editing tool.
Nimble Streamer is a "bridge" between live production environments and global networks.
Nimble Streamer can take any live stream input and create output NDI stream.
Example: having SRT stream from external public network, Nimble Streamer can re-package it into NDI for further production purposes.
Or generate NDI stream from local files via Server Playlist.
NDI monitoring console tool
Along with implementing NDI in Nimble Streamer, we've made a console tool for diagnosing NDI streams.
- Get the list of active NDI streams in your network;
- Get detailed information about video and audio frames;
- No GUI, just plain text console for your convenience.
This helped us test and debug our own solution, so we are sure it will also help our customers debugging their setup of Nimble and NDI streams in general.
Currently NDI is available in Nimble Streamer only on Windows, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04.
To start using NDI in Nimble Streamer, you need to make the following installation of Softvelum products:
This playlist has all NDI-related videos explaining various use cases.
Please contact our team if you have any questions or suggestions on NDI functionality.
NDI® is a registered trademark of NewTek, Inc.
Free trial of WMSPanel included